FraudWatch International Blog

The FraudWatch International Blog

You are here: Home » Blog

Cyber-Criminality: Why Do Hackers Love Targeting Universities?

A recent spate of attacks have again highlighted that Universities are a prime target for cyber-criminals. Universities across the US as well as in the UK have reported multiple data breaches (some claiming to have been attacked up to 50 times) in the last 6-12 months and there is no sign of these attacks slowing down.

date:  July 05, 2017

MacRansom Threatens Mac Users

Early this month, researchers started publishing warnings about a new, free, macOS-based 'Ransomware as a Service' (RaaS) which has recently emerged. The Mac specific ransomware has been dubbed 'MacRansom'.

date:  June 29, 2017

Retail Industry Threatened by… Online Brand Abuse: Case Studies

The retail industry is one of the most targeted sectors by cyber-criminals, and for obvious reasons: it holds on to a large amount of data, handles money and represents a seemingly endless line of businesses to steal from.

date:  June 21, 2017

Beware of “Judy”, the Latest Android Mobile App Malware

In late May 2017, security researchers discovered Android malware in around 50 apps which were available on the Google Play Store.

date:  June 14, 2017

UAE, the GCC region and the importance of increasing Phishing Awareness!

According to a recent survey conducted with users of Dubizzle, Dubai's leading free classifieds website, 36% of respondents had never heard of the term 'phishing scam'. The remaining 64% were aware of the term, but a quarter of them did not know what it meant.

date:  June 07, 2017

What is... Punycode Phishing? Part 2

Last week we discovered the use of Punycode phishing, a system that allows International Domain Names (IDNs) to be registered using characters that can’t be written in ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange), easily tricking even the most advanced internet users by making the website address look legitimate.

date:  May 31, 2017

What is... Punycode Phishing? Part 1

What is it?

date:  May 24, 2017

WannaCry Ransomware Attack: A Breakdown

What is it?

date:  May 18, 2017

Phishing for Influence: When Hackers Meddle in Politics

Every computer, whether used for personal or business reasons is susceptible to attacks from cyber-criminals. Political, personal and financial fraud are the three main reasons for these attacks.

date:  May 11, 2017

Online Wallets and Mobile Banking

An online wallet (or digital wallet) is a program or web service that allows users to store and control their online shopping information (such as: usernames, passwords, shipping addresses and credit card details) in one central place. It also provides a convenient and quick method for consumers to make purchases from any person or store world-wide.

date:  April 26, 2017
No More Posts